Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Exclusive Interview: JULIAN "J ROCK" WILLIAMS


EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: JULIAN “J ROCK” WILLIAMS
By John McCormick
DISCLOSURE: Julian Williams is trained by Boxingtalk contributor Stephen Edwards

JM: First off, I want to congratulate you on your win against Hector Rosario a few weeks ago. How did it feel to compete in the first eight rounder of your young career?
Julian Williams: It was great but to be honest, it wasn’t an easy victory. I know the scores were lopsided but I was fighting a pretty solid dude, who was 7-1, so it felt good to get the win in my first eight rounder.


JM: Being that it was your first eight round fight, did your preparation for the fight during training change at all compared to how you used to prepare for six rounders? Any drastic changes?
Julian Williams: No, I wouldn’t say we made any drastic changes at all. I mean, we have trained hard for every fight in my career so far. We did some interesting things in training so I was prepared and I am glad we got the win. But to be honest we treat every fighter like he is Godzilla, even if he's a turkey sandwich.


JM: You are currently signed to a promotional deal with Gary Shaw. As a young prospect that is currently 9-0-1, are you content with the pace of your career so far? Do you wish that you would fight more often?
Julian Williams: Yeah, I am content with the pace but I definitely want to fight more often. I just turned 22 years old in April so I would love to be in the ring, fighting as much as possible. 


JM: Has there been any talks of a date for your next fight?
Julian Williams: No, I didn’t hear anything yet but I let Steve handle all of that. I just get the information on who I am fighting and then start the preparation. It really doesn't matter to me who I fight, I know I'm going to win. I'm anxious to get back into the ring coming off my last performance, I felt really good.


JM: Are you currently training now despite not having a fight lined up?
Julian Williams: Yeah, I have to stay in shape in between fights.
I'm paranoid about being called for a fight and not being in shape.

JM: What does an average day in training look like for you?
Julian Williams: An average day, I wake up at about 5:30 in the morning and meet Steve at the track for running, strength, and conditioning. Then I’ll go home and eat, go to sleep, and go back to the boxing gym at about 5:00 in the evening, and work out to about 7:30 or 8:00. We also study a lot of films on great fighters from the past and future opponents. 


JM: I have heard from your trainer, Stephen Edwards that you have some sort of “special training” going on. Could you elaborate on that and tell us more about it?
Julian Williams: Yeah, we definitely got some special training going on but I don’t want to let the secret out. If I told you then my opponent's would have some of the same advantages that I have.


JM: You are from Philadelphia, which has a long line of great fighters. How does it feel to be a part of the new generation of fighters out of Philadelphia?
Julian Williams: It is a great thing. It makes me work harder and feel like I have to step it up every step of the way. There have been great middleweights out of Philly, there have been great fighters in general out of Philly but the middleweights have just stood out and I want to add to that list of great fighters.


JM: How long have you been boxing? When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do in life?
Julian Williams: I have been boxing since I was 12. I knew I wanted to box as soon as I stepped foot into the gym. I used to fight a lot in school when I was younger so the boxing gym gave me a positive way to get that aggression out.

JM: Which out of all of the fighters that have come out of Philadelphia did you idolize the most growing up?
Julian Williams: Bernard Hopkins, he’s legendary.

JM: Any closing thoughts for the fans?
Julian Williams: The fans can expect the total package, smart boxing, high skills and good punching power. I am always in  critical shape; I am not getting into the ring if I am not in 100% shape. There are plenty of good fighters at 154 coming up with me. I don't have to say names but I'm ready to prove I'm the best of the bunch.





1 comment:

  1. PBS will pit two fighters in what may be one of the highlighted boxing events of May. Here's how to watch Julian Williams vs Jarrett Hurd live online.

    ReplyDelete